8.25.2009

36 Weeks


Today marks the beginning of my 9th month of pregnancy! YIPPEE!!! We had another routine Dr. appointment today, except this time things didn't go as smoothly as they have in the past. My blood pressure was significantly higher than the previous visits (150/88) and there is still swelling in my legs, ankles, feet, face/nose, and my right hand is still tight and tingly. The nurse had me lay on my left side for 10 minutes and then re-checked my blood pressure, which it did go down, but was still on the high side. My doctor ordered that I do a 24-hour urine collection to see if I am leaking protein in my urine, which is a sign of preeclampsia. He also scheduled me for an ultrasound tomorrow afternoon to make sure the baby is doing okay, has enough amniotic fluid, the baby's position, and to see how big the baby is. If my protein levels come back high and the baby is healthy enough, I may have to deliver early! Exciting, yet scary! I don't care when when the baby is born, just as long as he/she is HEALTHY! One positive outcome from my appointment today is that I am not supposed to work anymore or do any strenuous activity! I'm not on 100% bed rest, but need to rest and put my feet up, which I have NO complaints about! Adam, on the other hand, isn't too thrilled about this order! HA HA! I know all of these signs and symptoms are normal towards the end of pregnancy, so I'm not too worried. We'd rather be safe than sorry! I'll get my urine results back tomorrow already - so I'll keep you posted on my results from the test and ultrasound! Here's what's happening this week:
The countdown continues… and in fetal developments: most of the bones (soft skull aside) in their little body are now completely hardened, providing a solid structure from which they can now make their grand debut into the world. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we are structurally ready for a secure launch. In physical fitness news: their muscle tone has also improved over these past few weeks, and you’ll definitely be impressed by their steel-like Ulnar grasp (a newborn reflex that occurs if you lay your finger in their palm). And in the fluids/excretion department: the amniotic fluid-to-baby ratio has fallen over these past weeks, although they’re still swallowing fluid (building up even more meconium for that historic first poop), and some vernix caseosa. They will be more than ready to swallow and digest milk after birth. Just in case you didn’t get it quite yet: you’ve got yourself an adorable and hungry 6.5 lbs 20 inch baby—are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...