5.28.2011

Special Olympics



On Friday our class headed to Ames to help out at the Iowa Special Olympics. We helped out in the 'Healthy Athletes' tent. It was a cold day, but we had a good time. I would definitely volunteer again next year if it works out.


It was a very rewarding experience. As I was watching a few wheel chair races in one of the gyms, I couldn't help but notice how proud everyone was of the athletes. Parents, coaches, fellow athletes, siblings, care givers, teachers, etc. were cheering, jumping up and down, screaming, whistling, and even running along side the athletes during the races. You have no idea how loud it was inside the gymnasium! It got even louder as the medals were given at the end of each race. The amount of love in the room brought tears to my eyes.


No one ever wishes their child to have special needs. We feel very blessed to have such a healthy and beautiful little girl. But what if something happens down the road? What if Harper develops a learning disability? What if an accident occurs and she becomes physically disabled? What will happen? How will I feel?


I will feel no different than I already feel now. I will love Harper unconditionally for eternity! And that is EXACTLY what I observed yesterday between the athletes and their families/friends/support team. I saw families from all walks of life, young and old, rich and poor, small families and large families, etc. They all shared one thing in common - they loved their child with special needs just like any other 'normal' child. But most importantly, they were PROUD of their special needs child! I feel so blessed to be just a very small part of something so awesome! I know my life will never be the same again.


PS - The other girls with me in the picture are friends from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...