6.24.2013

The First 24

Here is Elliet's birth story and a summary of her first day of life......

My mom and brother came down the night before my scheduled c-section to watch Harper, as Adam and I had to check-in at the hospital at 5:30 AM.  

Our last picture as a family of 3
5:30 AM

We arrived at the hospital, registered, and headed straight to my OB room.  I changed into my lovely hospital gown, got hooked up to the monitors, got my IV started, and signed all my paper work.  I was not nervous at all at this point, just very anxious (and tired)!

last belly pic ~ 39 weeks
6:00 AM

The surgical nurses, anesthesiologist, and OB/GYN came in throughout the hour to fill me in on what to expect before, during, and after my c-section.  My anxiety started kicking in and I was beginning to feel very nervous, but still excited.  A little background info: my spinal that I received during my c-section with Harper went "too high" and it was AWFUL - I couldn't talk, breath, blink, move......I honestly thought I was going to die.  No joke.  I have had numerous discussions with my anesthesiologist during the last 9 months about receiving another spinal - and the morning of the c-section was no different.  He knew exactly what to do if the same thing happened again - KNOCK ME OUT COLD!

7:05 AM

It was "Go Time" - the surgical nurses were ready to take me back to the OR.

7:15 AM

Time for the dreaded spinal - you have NO idea how nervous and scared I was.  Thankfully the spinal worked perfect, although I was still a nervous wreck.  My heart rate got up to 173 at one point!  (normal is 60-100)

7:43 AM

I hear the doctor say "she's almost here, she has lots of hair" and I lost it - I started sobbing like a baby!  Elliet Elizabeth Nerlien entered the world kicking and screaming.  I couldn't stop crying.....I was so happy and relieved that we both were healthy....

Elliet's very first picture
Adam followed Elliet over to the warmer while the doctor finished sewing me up.  The OR had a video camera on the warmer, and a screen next to me so I could watch them assess Elliet - one of the best ideas ever!  It's like I was right there - last time I didn't get to see any of that.  Adam got to cut off the excess cord, which he was excited about.  Elliet's doctor told me that "she is perfect, she is beautiful."  Elliet also respectively had Apgar scores of 8 and 9!

Meeting mommy!
8 lbs 2 oz, 20.5 inches long
9:00 AM

After spending time in the recovery room I got to head back to my room.  I was feeling great, no pain or nausea.  We spent the next few hours getting to know Elliet before allowing any visitors.  This is one of the best decisions we've made.  It was nice getting to study her little features and love up on her alone.  I also breastfed Ellie and she did amazing!  It was the perfect morning.

1st time holding Elliet
12:30 PM

Harper arrived at the hospital with my mom and brother.  She was so excited.  I was nervous as to how she would react.  I though she may be shy or act out.  But she was a natural, she took to her little sister immediately, I think it was love at first sight. :)  For the record, Harper is a baby hog - always wanting to hold baby E.

Meeting Ellie for the first time


2:30 PM

Adam took Harper back to our house so she could take a nap.  (She fell asleep within 2 blocks of the hospital!)  My mom and brother stayed with her at our house so Adam could come back and spend time with Elliet and I.  We spent the rest of the afternoon resting and loving up on Ellie.  I was still feeling good - still hadn't requested any pain medications!

5:30-6:30 PM

Our immediate family members came to meet Elliet.  At one point we had 10 visitors in the room.  It was nice that everyone was excited to meet the newest member of our family.  Elliet got passed around and didn't mind one bit.

8:00 PM

Harper left for the evening with Adam and his mom.  Adam went home with them to help get Harper settled in for the night, but after getting her bath ready Harper said "Just give me a hug and kiss and you can go."  Aww - what a big girl!

8:30 PM

Adam returned to the hospital and then the fun began....or not!  Elliet decided that she was sick of sleeping and wanted to check out her new surroundings.  She was seriously awake almost all night.....not completely awake - but not sleeping either...just drifting in and out of sleep.  The only thing that brought her peace was the urge to suck.  Adam was the official pacifier retriever for the evening, which was about every 15 minutes.    I continued to nurse every few hours, but of course my milk had not come in yet.  I continued to ask the nurse if I needed to supplement with a bottle, but she insisted that she was getting everything she needed.  She was pooping, peeing, and showing no signs of low blood sugar.  I felt so sorry for the little peanut, I just wanted to know for sure that she had something in her tummy.

Elliet finally decided to sleep at 4:30 AM.  But we survived our first night with Elliet - although it was very, very long!  This was just the first sign of having her days and nights mixed up!

Overall, Elliet's birth experience was SO much easier than Harper's...physically and emotionally.

Check back for an update on Ellie's first week of life ~    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...