3.25.2010

Homemade Baby Food

Now that Harper is 6 months, she is eating baby food. I decided that I would make an attempt to make my own baby food for a handful of reasons.
  1. It is WAY CHEAPER than buying the jarred food. For example, I bought a bag of carrots for $0.88 and I was able to make 12 servings, which is less than 8 cents/serving! At the store, you can buy a 2 pk of baby food for $0.94. Because I do not work full-time, I feel like it is my job to save money where I can. (more about that later, I am starting to become frugal)
  2. I have the time! Since I only work part-time, I figured it's the least that I could do!
  3. It is FRESH and HEALTHY! Have you ever stopped to think about why the shelf life for baby food is 2 years?!?! The ingredients in most commercial baby foods have been heated to a very high temperature and then cooled, in order to sterilize them. This gives them a very long shelf life but destroys a lot of the flavor and some of the nutrients in the process. By making my own food, I am able to pick the freshest ingredients with full flavor!

I highly recommend the book, Top 100 Baby Purees by Annabel Karmel. It is very easy to follow and has a wide range of easy 'recipes.' Everything from simple fruit/veggie purees to chicken/fish dishes and even some pasta recipes!

Making the baby food is simple~ you steam the veggies/fruit, then puree them, and finally freeze the food in ice cube trays. So far I've only made carrots and pears. I will still use jarred baby food when traveling for the sake of convenience. I'm not anti-jarred baby food by any means, but since I have the time to provide Harper with freshest and healthiest baby food, I will try my hardest to do so!

So far, Harper loves baby food! She has tried sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, peas, green beans and pears - and has loved them all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...