1.13.2010

New Adventures

Harper had two new 'firsts' today - sitting in her high chair and eating rice cereal from a spoon. She had her 4 month wellness check today and we got the "OK" to start her on rice cereal. Of course she wanted nothing to do with it - but we'll keep trying. I put a little cereal in her bedtime bottle because she's been waking up around 3 or 4 in the middle of the night -she hasn't done that for about a month now. We're not sure what her deal is - but think she may be in the early stages of teething. If it is her teeth - we'll have to buy some baby orajel. But we're hoping the cereal will do the trick for now! Harper has been showing some common signs of teething in the past month or so - A LOT of drooling, chewing on her hands, rosy cheeks and waking up at night. She even had a low-grade fever of 99.5 today at daycare. Despite of her teething signs, she has been a very happy baby!
Harper did great at her wellness check today! She was smiling at talking to the nurses and Dr. Nagel. Of course I had to take her around to my co-workers and show her off -everyone loved her up! Harper lucked out today because the clinic ran out of the shots she was supposed to get - so we'll go back on Monday for those! She weighed in at 15 lbs 12 oz and was 25 1/4 inches long. She was at the 90th % for both height and weight ~ Dr. Nagel said she is growing well and in proportion!

I think I like this thing~ Thanks Grandma Dawn and Grandma June!
My first time eating cereal - I look like such a big girl!
Alright Mom - I don't like it!

The aftermath


I also had a 'first' today ~ it was my first day back to school in 3 years! I'm only taking one class right now - Human Anatomy and Physiology - a pre-requisite to start nursing school. I will start nursing classes this fall at Iowa Central. I'm very excited to start this new journey! It's not that I don't enjoy teaching - it's just that after 3 years I am unable to find a full-time job in the teaching field. I told myself that if I didn't get a teaching job for the 2009-2010 school year I would go back to school. I can't sit around and wait for something to fall in my lap - I need to be proactive about my career. I should graduate with my Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) in May 2012 - at that point I would be a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). Iowa Central offers a BSN program via The University of Iowa - which is a one year program and would certify me as Registered Nurse (RN). I would finish the RN program in May 2013. Wish me luck on this adventure! I am a little sad to be leaving education - but I know that I can always come back to it. I'm more sad that I have $20,000 in student loans and have no job to show for it! Having my education degree may give me more opportunities as a nurse - I can be a school nurse and also teach health class, teach nursing classes at a college, be a health education coordinator at a medical facility, etc. I guess everything happens for a reason - someday I'll know why I went to school to be a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Grandma Dawn - and MomJanuary 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

    Harper is SO CUTE!!! Pretty soon she'll be munching on everything in sight!!
    LOVE the backpack picture too Brooke - you know that is a tradition that I always tried to do on the first day of school - when I remembered and was home anyway!! You'll do great - I'm very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Brooke! You are right, things happen for a reason!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...