1.10.2012

Bye Bye, Paci!

As I stated in our last blog, we took away Harper's pacifier on January 1st. It has been a long and trying 10 days!

Harper generally only had her pacifier when she took naps and went to bed. I knew that I had to do something drastic to stick our plan so I cut off the nipple part. She cried at first and wanted me to fix it. But she quickly realized that her paci was 'broken' and wanted to throw it away. The 1st day was going well until bedtime. She cried for it on and off for about 30 minutes and then woke up once in the middle of the night asking for it again.

Other than the 1st night, she hasn't asked for it again. I think she is still trying to soothe herself to sleep because our bedtime routine is in shambles. Harper comes up with every excuse in the book to avoid going to bed. And once in bed, she usually cries/SCREAMS for 20 minutes. We DREAD bedtime. Naps are no longer something that happens in our house anymore. Harper simply refuses any form of sleep now that she doesn't have her pacifier.

It is s.l.o.w.l.y. getting better each day. And when I say slowly, I heavily emphasize the meaning of the word slow! It truly depends on the day. Tonight she didn't make a peep when I layed her down, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

We are very proud of her efforts though. It brings us relief knowing that each day will get easier for us, and Harper. We knew it was only going to get harder the longer we waited to take it away. For our next child, we will be sure to take it away earlier - like on their 1st birthday!

Check back tomorrow for Harper's potty training update, which was MUCH more pleasant!

1 comment:

  1. I'm dreading this. I keep thinking that I'll take it now but I think about how hard its going to be (for me) and I give it to her. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...